Struggling with addiction

Post Reply
User avatar
Roby.evans
Kentucky Colonel
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:27 pm
Location: Magnolia, Kentucky

Struggling with addiction

Post by Roby.evans »

This is for someone struggling with any addiction whether it be porn, substance, alcohol, spending, cursing, tobacco, etc., or any other vice that Satan uses to temp the flesh and mind there are a plethora of community resources that may be available depending on where you reside.

I have a less than tolerant stance towards these issues that to many would be considered too hard or harsh in today's much softer society. I believe in Scripture and the Lord's instruction manual for our lives. For anyone ridding themselves of all material and access is paramount and the first step. much like quitting smoking or drinking, one cannot keep either in their car, home, garage. etc., The place must be swept clean of the temptation and using the excuse, "well I'll wean myself off a little at a time". that does not work, Satan is always going to be whispering in the ear, " It's ok just a little won't hurt you", and as soon as you give in then he pounces with the guilt "I knew it, you are not strong enough" Satan can and will use every weapon in his sadistic arsenal to break you down. However, there is One who is stronger than Satan and will be there to strengthen you and guide through times of struggle. There are many Spiritual and practical approaches to conquering an addiction. 1. Having an accountability partner, groups or individuals who hold one another accountable can be a powerful tool (see James 5:13-16 NKJV). 2. Filtering and setting boundaries, as I stated above guarding your mind and eyes by removing media, or setting internet filters, etc., (Proverbs 4:23 NKJV). 3. Lastly, Prayer, Prayer, Prayer (Psalm 119:9-11 NKJV) is a favorite of mine. Immersion in the Bible and scripture memorization a paramount to fighting Satan, Jesus Himself quoted Scripture to Satan when Satan tried to temp or coerce The Lord. I pray multiple times a day and most of all I pray through Psalm 51 NKJV and specifically verses 10-12 give me strength when I am tempted.
In His Service,
Joshua 1:9
Roby Evans
Post Reply

Return to “Musings & Ramblings of Roby Evans”